All right, I’ll admit it: people who know me probably saw this one coming from a mile off and, at the risk of being 100% predictable, here I am, ready to share one of my go-to feel-good movies with you—Begin Again (2013).
What Makes Begin Again Worth Your Time
Boy, oh boy! The truth is there aren’t that many movies like this one and it’s a damn shame. You know that feeling when the world seems just about as black as the longest, darkest tunnel you’ve no idea how to get out of? Well, Begin Again has known to turn the light back on for me and get me the hell out of that wretched tunnel.
I love that this movie celebrates music and art and emotions. I love that it feels like a warm hug after a particularly bad day. I love that it’s got Mark Ruffalo (Mark Fluffalo) and Keira Knightley and New York City as its main stars.
For me, Begin Again is not just one of the many lazy Sunday movies; it’s the Sunday afternoon movie. Warm, without being sappy; romantic, without being predictable; cozy and lovely and so very, very kind. Can movies be kind? I think so. I feel like this movie treats me well. And isn’t that just, well, kind?
When to Watch Begin Again
Wow, that previous paragraph sounded like the end of the post, but we haven’t even got to the whens. So, when should you watch Begin Again? (I love this part!)
- Always. I really do believe I could watch it anytime and enjoy it just as much as I did on the first watch.
- When you lose faith in humanity because Begin Again—mark my words—will restore it!
- When you’re alone and need a film to keep you company.
- When you’ve already seen the movie and want to share it with your best friend.
- When you’re in the laziest Sunday pajamas mode ever.
- When you’re happy and sad and everything in between.
- When you feel like falling in love.
Your Turn to Be Hugged
I hope Begin Again leaves a mark on you the way it did on me the first time I saw it. I just sat there, shook and grateful and a bit enamoured. Without spoiling anything, I’ll just wish you a wonderful time and may it become one of your favourite lazy Sunday afternoon movies, too!
Disclaimer: Your gif? Tell me and I’ll credit you right away.